Monday, October 29, 2012

Detox Day 1 & a Quick Smoothie Recipe

Day one of our detox went smashingly well. I'm proud to say I didn't eat anything with excess sugar all day. This morning I started off with organic turkey sausage links (These are my favorite!) and a peanut butter & banana protein shake. We get them at our local Kroger and they are perfect for adding it a little extra protein to any meal.
This shake is super easy and tasty!  I keep several bananas chopped up and stored in ziplock baggies in our freezer so that they are easily accessible when I'm making my smoothies. 
So here's the smoothie: 
1 frozen banana (apprx. 90 calories)
8 oz of original almond milk (40 calories)
1 heaping tablespoon of peanut butter. You can also use almond butter but I was all out. (95 calories)
1 scoop of protein. I use About Time Chocolate Protein Powder.  (103 calories)
and ice! I almost forget ice.



Blend all of these together and feel free to adjust ingredients based on consistency. If it's too thick, add more almond milk. If it's not thick enough, add more peanut/almond butter. This really is so good and it satisfies my milkshake addiction. I LOVE milkshakes but they are so bad for you. A large chocolate milkshake from McDonalds has 880 calories! 220 of those are purely fat calories. Wowzers! This peanut butter/banana shake is about 330 calories and much better for you! 

For dinner tonight, I made potato, shrimp and corn bisque. Yummo! Hopefully I'll get that recipe up on the blog in the next few days. 

Thanks for following me on this journey to better health. And please know, I am not a doctor, a nurse or a dietician...just a girl trying to make better food choices. :) If y'all try my smoothie concoction, let me know if you like it! 

2 comments:

stacy said...

Hi Cara Beth,

It's Stacy Breeding Cunningham -- I found your blog I think through Facebook, but I have added you to my reader and have so enjoyed getting to read about your journey. Just wanted to say thank you for being willing to be open and honest about your life, your health, and your hopes for a family. It's encouraging to read about and I will be praying for you!

Brooke said...

I just wanted to stop by and let you know i nominated you for a blog award on my blog. Hope you can participate! www.lifeasthehayes.blogspot.com