Monday, November 5, 2012

Weekend in Canton

This weekend one of my best friends and I headed to Canton, Texas for the largest flea market in the United States (according to their website). This was Alicia's first time to go to the Canton Trade Days and my fourth time. I also look forward to going especially around this time of year when it's not too hot.

Trade Days in Canton takes place on the first Monday of every month and the weekend leading up to it. The hardcore shoppers will park their RV's on Wednesday night and wake up bright and early Thursday morning to get the good deals. I think the gates open Thursday at 8am. We usually shop on Friday, Saturday or Sunday. This year Alicia and I left Friday afternoon, shopped all day Saturday and half of Sunday and drove home Sunday afternoon. That was the perfect amount of time because we were pretty exhausted at the end of it all. We ran into the former Mayor of Canton and chatted for a few minutes about the history of Canton Trade Days. It was interesting. He said that weekend their would be about 1 MILLION PEOPLE shopping over the course of the 5 days. Isn't that insane!?

Hotels fill up fast in Canton every month but that was actually to our benefit because I had to look outside of Canton to find this gem. Saline Creek Farms Bed & Breakfast is owned by this sweet couple who live about 10 or 15 miles outside of Canton. It made the perfect spot for our weekend.
We booked the garden cottage and stayed Friday and Saturday night. It was such an adorable place! So much better than a commercialized hotel. The owners served a wonderful breakfast the next morning before we headed out to shop all day.  
 My mom and a friend of my mom's drove over from Louisiana to meet us. The four of us had so much fun shopping for Christmas decor and gifts for people, eating funnel cakes & corn dogs (well, not me) but the most fun was definitely spending time together!
My mom has an excellent sense of direction so I usually just follow her around when I go with her to Canton. At times, it was just Alicia and I wandering around 2 square miles of booth after booth of shops and I quickly remembered that I was NOT blessed with a sense of direction. It is SO easy to get turned around in the Canton flea markets. 

We cannot wait to go back! The weather was perfect! We LOVE where we stayed! The trees were perfect. All in all, it was a great weekend. Couldn't ask for anything more. :)

No comments: