Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Little Cottage in the Woods

There's a silly song I used to sing when I was a kid about a little cabin in the woods and it goes something like this: 
Little cabin in the woods
Little man by the window stood
Saw a rabbit hoping by
Frightened as could be

"Help me. Help me." little rabbit said
Less the hunter shoot me dead.
Come, little rabbit. Come inside. 
Safely to abide. 


This song has been playing over and over in my head for the last week and it's silly but I thought I'd share it with you. Of course, I replace the word cabin for cottage and it sounds so much better and much more appropriate for our little cottage in the woods. ;)

 It is safe to say I have never felt this way about a building before.  I have seen the Eiffel Tower, The Louver, the Colosseum, among many other of the world's greatest structures. But none give me the feeling like this house does.

 You know when people talk about "their happy place?" Well, it wasn't until we found this gem that I realized I didn't really have a happy place. I don't think I ever truly felt settled in our last home for whatever reason. To me, a happy place is simply that: a place where you can always go and find instant happiness. It might be a quaint little antique shop that you get lost in or a little reading nook in your bedroom. For me, this is my happy place. Our cottage in the woods.

I know over the next few months and years as we make this home more inviting and more our own, I will find specific spots around and in this house that I love. But for now, I am loving the whole house itself. Nestled deep in the woods of Louisiana... where I can't hear any eighteen wheelers whizzing by on the interstate at night. All I hear is the silence that God intended. Frogs and crickets singing me their lovely evening tune.
 I love the character in this 20 year old home. The way that nature envelopes it and embraces it as if it has always been here. I love the winding brick path to the front door that welcomes in friends and family. Though the bricks are broken and uneven, it is perfect to me.
Yup. This is my happy place. So if you see me around town and I can't stop smiling, you'll know why. It's because I get to come home to this every evening.

No comments: