Thursday, September 13, 2012

Celiac Awareness Day

Many of you may know that I have Celiac Disease. I was diagnosed in February of 2007. Since my diagnosis, my life has become both better and worse at the same time. Well, before my diagnosis, I never really knew what was wrong with me and now I know waay too much! :) I am still finding out ways gluten destroyed my body every time I go to the doctor. I have had severe migraines, muscle aches, fibromyalgia, thyroid disease, epstein barr virus, CMV virus, several vitamin deficiencies and among other things. At one point I was taking 34 pills a day. My doctor told me at our last doctor appointment that he is concerned that I might not be able to carry a child through to full term IF I am ever able to get pregnant.

So why am I telling you this? All of these things were a result of me eating gluten and damaging my intestines. One out of 133 people have Celiac Disease. You might have it and not even know it.

"Celiac Disease is triggered by consumption of the protein called gluten, which is found in wheat, barley and rye. When people with celiac disease eat foods containing gluten, their immune system responds by damaging the finger-like villi of the small intestine. When the villi become damaged, the body is unable to absorb nutrients into the bloodstream, which can lead to malnourishment. Left untreated, people with CD can develop further complications such as other autoimmune diseases, osteoporosis, thyroid disease, and even cancer." - taken from the National Foundation for Celiac Awareness website

There are so many different symptoms that even something as little as a skin rash could be a sign of CD. Celiac Awareness Day is simply that. A Day to bring awareness. Please take a moment to go to this website, read the symptoms. Maybe you or a loved one will be spared years of pain because of it. If you suspect you might have Celiac Disease, ask you doctor to run a simple blood test. There is no CURE for Celiac Disease but the treatment is simple: cut ALL GLUTEN from your diet.

I am so thankful I was diagnosed when I was, at age 23. But unfortunately plenty of damage had already been done. I'm still on the road to recovery. I'm down to taking about 6 or 7 daily vitamin supplements. I feel healthier than I have in a long time. Buie and I are praying that one day God will bless us with healthy babies in the near future.

I am certainly not an expert by any means and you should definitely consult your doctor before starting a gluten free diet. :)

No comments: