Friday, May 18, 2012

For the birds


Lately here at our zoo, I've been concentrating on a different type of animal: BIRDS. I've always loved birds. I love watching them. I love nests and eggs and baby birds. Springtime is the best time to get into birds and I noticed that our home is really not "bird friendly." We had one feeder up in the backyard but it was really low to the ground, low enough to where the dogs could jump up and knock it down. So if the dogs could reach it, more than likely the birds were not going to feel comfortable going to the feeder with three canines staring it down looking ready to pounce!


So, I decided to make our front/side porch area a sort of bird haven. Buie and I spent several days redoing a flower bed on the side of our house. I found the perfect bird bath at Pier One to put in the flower bed. This is the same flower bed where we buried our cat George, so it's special to us. I know it sounds cheesy but we like to think of George watching the birds too. :) 

Buie was my DIY project hero and hung my new feeders - one small one on the front porch and a larger one we nailed to a tree in our front yard. I have the perfect view of this one from our two white rocking chairs on our front porch. My new favorite thing to do is to sit outside in the morning and drink my coffee and watch the birds. Yesterday morning I saw several cardinals, a blue jay, a little wren and several robins. Before you know it, I'll be out there with my binoculars and field guide looking up different bird breeds. ha! I'm not sure when I become such an old lady but I'm not complaining. I'm a bird lady and I'm not ashamed to admit it. :)

No comments: