Thursday, February 16, 2012

mini spinach frittatas

I haven't shared a recipe on our blog in quite some time and I'm not sure why. It's no secret that I live with an amazing chef. Ok, he's not an actual chef but he's my personal chef and that is all that matters, right? ;) Buie is all the time cooking up something. Since he manages a bookstore, he often (and I DO mean OFTEN) brings home new cookbooks and cooking magazines for new recipes to try. I love it! I don't HATE to cook. In fact, I have a few of my favorite dishes I have somewhat perfected, including my gluten free gumbo, but I step aside when Buie is ready to cook. For instance, right now, I am on my laptop blogging away and where is he? Cooking. This is AFTER he already cooked a delicious flank steak for my parents tonight. His only request is that I keep him company while he cooks. Therefore, here I sit at the breakfast table, blogging and admiring his handiwork. (Please excuse the pictures. I just snapped them with my iPhone. I promise they taste SO much better than they look in these pics!)

Here is a recently discovered recipe that I literally cannot get enough of: mini spinach frittatas. These bite size frittatas are easy to make and have become a staple in our household. They make for a quick breakfast if you are running out the door or a healthy alternative for a snack to tied you over until dinner. If you have kids, these would be great to make to protein to their diet. One serving has 10g of protein.


Recipe by Nancy Statkevicus | Tucson, AZ found at www.tasteofhome.com

1 cup ricotta cheese
3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2/3 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
1 package (10 oz) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
24 slices pepperoni

  • In a small bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. Place a pepperoni slice in each of 24 greased miniature muffin cups. Fill muffin cups 3/4 full with the cheese mixture.
  • Bake at 375 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until completely set. Carefully run a knife around edges of muffin cups to loosen. Serve warm
Nutrition Facts: 3 mini frittatas equals 128 calories, 9 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 50 mg cholesterol, 396 mg sodium, 4 g carbs, 1 g fiber, 10 g protein.
We ALWAYS double this recipe because they go so quickly in our house. They also freeze nicely. Enjoy! If you end up making them, let me know how you like them. I would be interested to know if kids like them, too. I would think they would since they have the pepperoni on the bottom. Maybe I'll have to let my niece and nephew try some. :)


No comments: