Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Fibromyalgia Awareness

Today is May 12th. For many of you it is just another ordinary day. Many years ago, for me, it was, as well. Until about four years ago, I had never heard about Fibromyalgia until a doctor diagnosed me with it along with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. These two illnesses usually go hand in hand, but what are they and how do they affect you?

Today is May 12th. Fibromyalgia Awareness Day. I write about Fibromyalgia not for any other reason other than that - awareness. Perhaps you are struggling with many of the same things I struggled with for years and don't have a clue what's "wrong" with you. Do any of these symptoms sound familiar? Pain, unrelenting fatigue, memory & concentration issues, sleep disorders, exercise difficulties, irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), chronic headaches, & even migraines, jaw pain, aggravating factors such as PMS, weather, stress, etc. If you have most or ALL all these symptoms on a regular basis you might want to talk to your doctor about treatment. I was and still am dealing with every single one of these symptoms on a daily basis. You may think - HOW in the world? I have learned coping treatments and I have learned how to make my life as stress free as possible. Stress makes Fibro worse.

Things that I have learned to enjoy and embrace with Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome:
walking (as oppossed to running which is hard on your joints)
hot baths
massages
sleep
saying no
the occasional muscle relaxer (when the day gets the best of me) :)

Do you have Fibromyalgia or know someone who does? How do you/they deal with the symptoms?

No comments: