Sunday, February 27, 2011

Catching up:: My "Retirement" Party

It's been 2 weeks since I quit my full time job of 5 years. It's still hard to believe. Sometimes it sounds so irresponsible when said aloud... "I quit my job." But it wasn't like that at all. It was so hard to leave. In fact, I prayed about this decision for literally years. I knew this day would come one day but it didn't make it any easier. The people in the picture below were like family after spending 5 days a week and 8 hours a day with them. If I was good at math, or if my dad were awake right now, I could tell you just how many total hours I've spent at the Arkansas Baptist Convention.
I worked for the Collegiate Ministry Team and they were so kind to throw me a going away party or "retirement party." It was definitely the best party that I've ever been the guest of honor of. ;)

I had to show my mom how to work my camera. :)


They decorated the office with things that represented me. They displayed some of my graphic design work I've done for them over the years. My collection of antique cameras, photography books and my favorite prints were shown on the tables.

The room looked GREAT!



My friend, Linda, catered the event and even made me the best gluten free chicken salad sandwiches and chocolate covered strawberries, my fav!


My parents drove up for the event from Louisiana, my brother and sister-in-law drove down from Maumelle and of course, my better half was there! It was special to have so much of my family there.



Oh, and how could I forget the most important guest of all... my nephew Landon was there, too. :)


My bosses David and Diane both said a few words, then he opened up the floor and several people shared funny stories or memories about me from the last 5 years. It was so touching. I tried hard not to cry!


I have truly been blessed to have worked at the ABSC. Over the last five years, I have learned so much about myself, about others, about God. I made friends that I will never forget.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Wow, what a send-off! I'm sure if I quit my job, they'd be like, "oh, this sucks...well, good luck...um, ok...what do we do now?" I'm quite sure there would be no party...looks like a beautiful day and a great memory! Congrats again on pursuing your dreams!!