Thursday, January 17, 2013

Its Closing Time...

So it's official. We now own a home in Ruston, Louisiana. The hubs and I drove down, dogs in tow, to close on the house today and sign a bagillion papers - can you say HAND CRAMP! And who's idea was it to put my FULL name first, middle, maiden and last name on the documents? Not a good idea. For our next home I shall sign my initials on all documents or at least "C.B. Buie." Geez! I seriously felt like I was signing for days. Anyway, after a couple of self hand massages to get the feeling back in my thumb, we were handed the largest group of keys I've ever seen on a non-janitor. Seriously. ALL of these keys go to our new home. Ridiculous. 

To the person who will own our home that we currently live in, if you happen to be reading this, don't worry- you are only getting two keys: one for the front door and one for the back door and that's ALL. None of this 10 key ridiculousness business. So our first order of business is to change all the top locks on the doors to deadbolts. I can't imagine trying to get out of the house when it's on fire and first of all trying to locate the key in a blaze of fire and second trying to locate to correct key for the correct door. I would most definitely be a pile of ash on the floor before I found the correct key for the right door. It really is ridiculous how many doors are in this new house and the fact that they each have their own key just baffles me. Can you say paranoid much? Someone REALLY didn't want anyone to figure out how to get in or to get out for that matter. 


As I mentioned before we brought the dogs down today to let them walk around the property, get a feel for things, mark their territory, sniff things out. I think they're going to like it here. Conner already found a napping spot in our bathroom. It's a good thing the hideous wallpaper doesn't bother him as much as it does his mother. We have definitely got our work cut out for us in the wallpaper/painting department. (more on that in future)

We met with a friend of mine today who is going to put in a fence for our dogs. That really is top priority because our house backs up to several acres of dense woods. We couldn't have our doggies get lost. They would probably get a taste of the country life, start chasing rabbits and never return to us. We'll keep them spoiled rotten and inside dogs as long as I can. 

Sometimes, well more like everyday. lately I have woken up with a feeling of being completely overwhelmed then I remember how silly I am being. I am worrying about replacing the carpet in my office or what vet to use in a new city when there are way bigger problems in the world. The truth is we are blessed, happy and thankful for not only this change in life but an opportunity to do something greater with what God has given us. 

I know I've been writing a lot about moving, packing, moving, closing, and well... moving lately but this is our life lately. Thanks for sticking around! Life is about to get a whole lot more exciting in Ruston, Louisiana when the Buies move into town! ;)

1 comment:

ashley said...

Ummm...if that last picture is of your new driveway then you made an awesome choice on a home! Excited for you and your journey ahead. Ben and I are always trying to figure out how to get away from the city and head to the woods...maybe one day...